Also buried in the old section of the Hillside
Cemetery is Ebenezer Gay.
The house that Gay had built on Main Street is
now home to the Sharon Historical Society, and
is known as the Gay-Hoyt House, in honor of its
builder and Miss Ann Sherman Hoyt, who donated
it to the society.
Ebenezer Gay (1725-1787) was born in Litchfield
, CT, the son of John Gay, Esq. and Lydia Colver
Gay, who had lived in Dedham, Massachusetts. In
1743, John and Lydia moved to Sharon, purchasing
Lot #39 from Israel Holley. The Gays had four
sons: John, Ebenezer, Fisher and Perez.
Gay's services to Sharon's civic life were many.
He was Constable from 1760-1769, served as Tax
Collector in 1763 and was re-elected six times
to that position. He served as Selectman in 1766
and again thirteen terms after that. In 1770 and
1772, Gay was a Grand Juror, served as Assemblyman
from 1775 to 1778, and was the Town Treasurer
in 1775 and for seven additional terms.
During the Revolutionary War, Ebenezer was a
Major, in charge of Colonel Charles Burrell's
14th Connecticut Militia Regiment, a detachment
of 300 to 500 men.
In 1777, he sat on a committee to care for the
families of those serving in the Continental