Sharon, to reside in Danbury.
On Sept. 1, 1860, the Gillette Brothers purchased of Samuel
J. Prindle, the store at the head of Main Street, Sharon,
which ever since has and is still known as "The Gillette Store."
Here they conducted a flourishing business in hardware and
furniture, in addition to an assortment of other goods, usually
kept in a retail store. Henry M. removed the old house which
stood on the corner, to a point farther west, where it was
occupied by one Charles Ieorc, a tailor, whose widow is still
living in a small house near the site upon which the old house
was placed. He then built the house which has always since
been known as the Gillette House, and which is now owned by
Mrs. Clarence H. Eggleston, the youngest child of the late
Edward F. Gillette.
The Gillette Brothers Store became popular at once. The post
office was removed from Patterson's Law office into it, where
it remained until its removal to its present quarters, in
the Town Hall. The firm continued until 1865, when Henry M.
left Sharon, to live in Salisbury, where, in company with
Hiram J. Bissell, who had been a clerk in the Gillette Store
in Sharon, they opened a store and began business under the
firm name of Gillette and Bissell, and so continued until
Mr. Gillette's death, in 1870, at the early age of forty-three.
When Henry M. Gillette left Sharon, his brother, Edward F.
sold the house he had built on the corner of New Street and
went to the one vacated by his brother, where he continued
to reside until his death in 1903. In 1893 his son, E.F. Gillette,
Jr., became a partner in the store with his father, and assumed
active control of the business. The firm name then changed
from E.F. Gillette to that of E.F. Gillette and Son. E.F.
Gillette, Jr., has since died, and the property has passed
into the ownership of his sister, Mrs. Clarence H. Eggleston,
who with her husband, is carrying on the business under the
name of E.F. Gillette and Son.
This seems but little to say of a family such as the Gillette's
have been. Prominent both in church and society, it is doubtful
if any family has ever lived in the place, who have left a
more lasting impression for good than they. There were no
black sheep among them, to mar an otherwise clean record.
The name was never associated with a movement that had not
for its end the betterment of Sharon and its people. What
more need be said of any family?
E. Franklin Gillette, Frank Gillette, as he was known and
called by all, was the last to go from among us. His illness
only lasted a few days, and when the word went around that
Frank Gillette was dead, the community received a shock it
will long remember. It was a long time before the people of
Sharon could realize that Frank Gillette was dead, and longer
still before the responsibilities he had assumed could be
shifted to other shoulders.